Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Thoughts on names

Over the past couple of months, Megan and I have had many conversations around what kind of name would suit a young lady from Indiana. Most of the names have been quickly dismissed, or laughed at for a while, then dismissed. But, on occasion, a name keeps coming up, and gets put on a list. We think we are at the point where we would like to start getting a little feedback. So, please feel free to comment on any of these names, ranging from you love it, to you don't like it, to you can think of a clever nickname, or, more to the point, a nickname that would result in years of mocking and ridicule. Oh, and to those thinking that many great names have already been suggested, do not worry. All of the named ducks are on prominent display in the bathroom, reminding us of their many, many possibilities.

Some choices, in no particular order:
  • Elise
  • Kiley
  • Adrienne
  • Hazel
  • Moira
  • Gretchen
  • Annalise
  • Helena
  • Corinne
  • Ava
  • Clara
  • Ainsley
  • Isabella
Well, that's what we have for now. Some we like more than others. Some we don't like all that much, but thought we should put up here just in case. Let us know your thoughts!

15 comments:

Ken said...

Whaaatttt!!!! (in my best Homer Simpson voice). Snake McCain didn't make the cut....

I do like Hazel(family name and classic) and Annalise, just cool.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Kiley...it is like a misspelled Kelly..and the McCain's are all about messing up the spelling of just about everything. Madison votes for Annalise.(She has a little friend with that name, very sweet girl)Jacob is still voting for Jillian. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

We like most of the names but have a difficult time guessing the middle name for any of them that would go with McCain....

Anonymous said...

Have to say, I like Ava.

:) Can't wait to meet her. We're going to have to get together and have one big tea party in a couple of years.

Ummm, I guess Jacob can pour.

Anonymous said...

I am sure it was just an over sight that Zoro Xantippe was not on the list. Since there will be a very open-minded group in Kansas City shortly, they could just vote on a name. This will leave Glenn and Megan free for the difficult decisions such as picking the proper color to paint the baby’s room. I know from experience that this usually takes months. Dad

Ken said...

Actually, we'll probably have time to select the name and room color during the KC convention. The current straw poll shows florescent orange with purple trim leading.....

Anonymous said...

I vote for "Corinne Ava" from your list. Then her initials spelled backwards would be MAC.

Anonymous said...

Having had quite a bit of experience naming baby girls, I have found that no matter how good the name is for the first twenty years or so, the last name will then change and so the effort put into making it sound right with McCain, is all for naught. Witness Megan McCafferty McCain.

Anonymous said...

I like Megan McCafferty McCain-it has that alliterative effect that is so attractive in poems. Of course, I was instrumental in naming most of my siblings, so I am biased. You could always go for the double name, which has become so popular since we chose to go that route! Actually we didn't realize it was a southern thing until we did it. Now the daughter of Yankees like us can fit right in!

Anonymous said...

Ainsley is a neat name. It is also a fine English China which you grandmother liked. However, she would always to put up with amused smiles from former West Wing fans.

How about Lauren or Molly?

Anonymous said...

Remember, Megan, you're a hot, blonde republican and no one likes you. And just remembering that makes me smile so much that it seems appropriate that your daughter might bear the name Ainsley.

Also, you may want to consider "Laura" as a middle name. You can tell your neice that it's after her, but secretly, we'll all know the truth. ;-)

Have you considered continuing the McCafferty middle name tradition?

Anonymous said...

Elise: because it is a "sweet" car and we are sure it will be a "sweet" girl!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I remember some of the names you chose for your siblings, and let me just say this, had I chosen one of them, your brother would have required years of therapy. . .but because you like the alliterative effect here are a few suggestions that are not on Megan's list...Maisy, Morgan, and Michaela, or the most popular baby girl's name in Ireland this year. . .Emma. However Emma Kae McCain sounds a little too much like stuttering, if you want that southern thing.

Anonymous said...

I would like to place a second vote for Clara...it reminds me of the Nutcracker. :) Just remember if Jacob got to vote on names I think Jillian would be known as COokie Monster. Glenn have you ever thought about Kitty or Cinnamon (ok they do sould a bit stripper like..just a thought)

Anonymous said...

I like the names Adrienne Grace, and Elizabeth Jean. But..... What's wrong with Laura? Your best friend and one of your favorite nieces's have that name.